colgatesports.myfastforum.org Forum Index

colgatesports.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Basketball -> WBB Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Posted:
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

WBB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:56 pm  Reply with quote
Raider Archivist
Howie Starr Club

Gonzaga 80 Gate 50

Really poor shooting by Gate.
6'3" Josie Stockill has been stymied the last couple of games after being a force in the paint in the first few games. Thought they looked improved from last year in their first couple of games, in defeat. Not sure about it now.
Nicci needs to bag a hot shooting recruit to catalyze this team. Two bright spots off the bench: Sophomore Ariel Etheridge brings a lot of energy consistently on both sides of the court and adds 5-10 pts consistently in her 10 to 15 minutes. Freshman Mylah Chandler has a nice consistent shot and is very athletic with a soft shot--5 points consistently in her 5 to 10 minutes.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Gate'83
Howie Starr Club

They look more athletic than in the past but the results certainly aren't there yet.  Losing to Gonzaga is no surprise, holding out hope that we'll be competitive in league play.  

On the other hand, the guys beating UNH today was encouraging... they beat the Cross by 4 in Worcester, hoping that's good news for how we'll stack up in the PL.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Critic
Colgate 13 Club

The men were quite tough and impressive against a strong, quick UNH team. Georgia Tech will be a tough game, but a nice prep for the PL opener at home 12/30 vs the Leopards.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Raider Archivist
Howie Starr Club

WBB: St. Bonnie 62 Gate 38

With a 1-8 record from a tough o.o.c. schedule, this WBB team will face an almost equally hapless team at Lafayette ( 2-6 ) on Tuesday Dec. 22nd. This should be more of a realistic test of whether and how the ladies can compete in a very weak PL WBB group this year. ( Presumably, this is what the extraordinary o.o.c competition they've faced so far has been about. )

There are 6 teams ( incl. gate ) in this year's very weak group of PL teams that have horrible o.o.c. records, with Loyola having the most wins, with 3. That's why I've enjoyed watching Nicci for going-on-5-years now. I'm curious whether she can scratch-and-claw Gate into the middle of the PL ?
That would be an accomplishment, given what she inherited. And it's fotunate for her that the league is so bad this year that she has a chance to do this in the 2015-16 season, her 5th year. This would happen despite her lack of recruiting any outlier players and taking so long to create a stable staff to get here.

For the detractors, what sucks about this team is the absence of (a) consistent shooter(s) and lackluster/inconsistent shooting overall.
Their shot selection isn't bad. They're capable of playing good D and bringing high energy, on occasion, and have a decent rotation that keeps teams adjusting. On the occasional night that their shooters are mostly on, they have the pieces to beat any of the other 5 teams with equally bad records. Under those conditions, a fluke night, they could possibly upset or scare one of the 4 good teams, as well.

If you don't have this kind of perspective, the 1-8 record may be misleading, and the o.o.c. schedule strategy may seem odd. Let's hope that's the case, at least ? But this isn't the type of entertainment for the viewers on the Board who are looking for more immediate entertainment.

Last edited by Raider Archivist on Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Critic
Colgate 13 Club

I enjoyed that analysis and pretty much agree with it. I watched the women play against UConn and I am still impressed with what I saw on the court....hustle, heart, teamwork, etc.... and what I heard during the post-game presser....class, enthusiasm, positivity, etc. I'm hoping for a good showing in the PL and I can only wish all these young 'gate women the best.  They represent us well.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
bison137
Colgate 13 Club

Raider Archivist wrote:
WBB: St. Bonnie 62 Gate 38

With a 1-8 record from a tough o.o.c. schedule, this WBB team will face an almost equally hapless team at Lafayette ( 2-6 ) on Tuesday Dec. 22nd. This should be more of a realistic test of whether and how the ladies can compete in a very weak PL WBB group this year. ( Presumably, this is what the extraordinary o.o.c competition they've faced so far has been about. )

There are 6 teams ( incl. gate ) in this year's very weak group of PL teams that have horrible o.o.c. records, with Loyola having the most wins, with 3.

Although the league is probably not as strong as last year, I wouldn't categorize it as "very weak" but rather as "unbalanced".   Sagarin ranks it 26th of the 33 conferences - but a lot of that is due to the two newcomers, Loyola and Boston U.   Loyola is weak and Boston U is worse than dreadful.   If you look just at the traditional eight teams, the PL would rank 20th.   It had a higher ranking than the men last year.

FWIW the current rankings of the ten PL teams (Sagarin) are as follows, out of 349 teams:

55 Army
134 Lehigh
152 Bucknell
199 Navy
229 Holy Cross
244 American
281 Colgate
295 Lafayette
301 Loyola
340 Boston U

Army obviously is very good.   Lehigh and Bucknell both appear to be good, although Bucknell unfortunately has lost three rotation players due to injury.  Navy is very young and HC has been riddled by injury - but both could contend, especially if HC has better injury luck in league play.   AU is also respectable.     I think it will be a real challenge for Colgate to finish ahead of any of those six.   I think they realistically could finish 7th however.
WBB win 72-59 over Laf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
Steve
Adonal Foyle Club

I hope this shows Nicci will have a good year. She makes sense of the PL season as well in yesterday's postgame article at gocolgateraiders.com.

Go 'gate!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
go'gate
Howie Starr Club

We stand at 4-18 with a .182 win %.  My heart bleeds for this team and these coaches.  Stockill gets 29pts in her latest effort and the team itself only scores 55.  Just keep shaking my head wondering what the solution could possibly be.  We have a motivated, experienced coach, but after 4 years (I think), success has not followed.

'05-'06 9-20 .310
'06-'07 6-25 .194
'07-'08 1-29 .033
'08-'09 5-25 .167
'09-'10 10-19 .345
'10-'11 7-22 .241
'11-'12 8-22 .267
'12-'13 10-21 .323
'13-'14 8-22 .267
'14-'15 9-22 .290
'15-'16 4-18 .182

Only 2/11 seasons when we reached 10 wins.  Not sure how much $ is poured into the program, but perhaps Colgate is willing to leave the coach and the sport out to dry.  There are 3 Asst. Coaches listed and even they don't seem to last very long?

All that being said, it is easy to like her, which I do...a lot.  She is a terrific advocate for Colgate and deserves better.  I hope she can get there soon.  I thought the Pam Bass era was behind us!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Raider Archivist
Howie Starr Club

If WBB ends the season at 5-22, tied for the PL basement with Boston, what kind of grade does the program and Nicci deserve after 5 seasons ?

There may be benefits that the program has bestowed on the Colgate community and the s-a's that aren't reflected in the w-l record ?

And Nicci certainly has won a lot of support because of her outward enthusiasm for selling gate.

Nicki was one of 5 new coaches who started 3 to 5 seasons ago ( Fargo, Langell, Murphy, Finley ). Comparatively speaking, she seems to have under-delivered in recruiting success. I've followed this team for 5 years so I'm curious if anyone else out there has any observations to share ?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Gate'83
Howie Starr Club

Got a note from the Booster Club that Nicci resigned as of this afternoon.  I'm personally very sorry to see her go, as she was a friend.  Not surprised though, team hasn't improved in her tenure and as a young coach she can either move on or become Cathy Foto.  Good luck to coach in all her future endeavors!

WBB
 colgatesports.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Basketball